Friday, February 25, 2011

spaghetti squash

I've borrowed a recipe idea from a fellow d-mom (mom with child with diabetes) who has a blog (see the "finding our balance" blog on my link list). She's really dedicated to cooking not only low carb for her family, but also gluten and dairy-free. I have a shipment of almond flour on its way, thanks to that sweet Alix! Anyway, I took her recipe from her blog and Shannon-ized it:

1 spaghetti squash
spaghetti sauce of your choice
1-2 pounds of ground beef, depending on the appetites of your family!
parmesan cheese
sea salt and fresh ground pepper

To cook the squash, I followed the directions on the sticker that came on the squash. Basically, pierce the rind all over with a fork, then place on a plate in the microwave and cook on high for about 8-10 minutes, until it is fork-tender. Then, cut it in half, and with a fork remove the spaghetti-like squash from the rind. If your sauce is hot and ready (ground beef browned, etc.), top bowlfuls of the squash along with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. You can warm up the squash in a pan on the stove with some butter or olive oil (or both), and then serve with sauce, etc. The squash pretty much takes on the taste of the sauce, but the texture may seem different from what you're used to with pasta. However, Zach did not spike at all, which was awesome. Usually on spaghetti night, unless he's been super active that day, he runs high later on in the night. I had the leftovers tonight (because I cooked two spaghetti squash, when one was plenty for our family), and I am a convert! Thank you so much to Alix for sharing her nutritional prowess! I'll be sure and post other recipes that she shares, I don't think she'd mind...

No comments: