Tuesday, February 01, 2011

my girl is 6!

It is so hard to believe my baby is 6, oh my goodness!!! I have so enjoyed watching her little personality come out, and boy, what a personality! You've already heard many of her quotables, I mean, she's full of them. Yesterday, I kid you not, she asked me for a stamp because she had written a letter to God (it said God I Love Jordan, translated "I love God, from Jordan"). She just does stuff like that. And she's my number one fan, for whatever reason, it just feels so undeserved. I'm terrified I'll let her down. I consider it my greatest responsibility to do all that I can to raise her as a secure, confident, and compassionate little girl. She's so much like me, it's scary, right down to the love of animals (especially horses) and her sensitivity to criticism (I try to be very careful). It is obvious that what she perceives I think about her is paramount, so I have learned to watch how I say things to her, and what I say. I always idolized my mom and wanted to be just like her, always wanting to know what she was like when she was my age, and Jordan is the same way. She loves it when she learns about how alike we are, or when we've had similar experiences at the same age. Our job as parents is to teach our children how to be, and they watch our every move. I find myself still trying to figure out how to be, and still looking to my parents for that guiding light.

Jordan had a great birthday, starting off the morning of with her requested breakfast of grilled cheese (chocolate covered donut request was denied). She opened her presents from my parents, Zhu Zhu pet stuff. Then we met Jon's mom and grandmother at Mimi's for lunch, more presents, and a cupcake. After that was the big event, the ear piercing. A couple of weeks ago we had gone by Icing to pick some earrings out and find out what all was involved, and they did a great job. I did put a little Emla cream on her earlobes but forgot to until 15 minutes before the piercing. Still, I think it did help. She was funny, after they had done it one of the ladies asked her, "That was just like a little pinch, wasn't it?" Jordan said, "No, it was like a BIG pinch, actually." That's my girl, she says it how it is!












2 comments:

sharon said...

what an adorable cutie! you are such a good mommy! i love hearing
your thoughts on motherhood. You are such an inspiration! It is amazing to see how much the kids all resemble each other, she really reminds me of the big boys when they were little.

Shannon said...

Thanks, Sharon! I actually found a picture of Mychael when he was about 8 that they look very much alike, even though I always thought she favored Nathan. Great to hear from you!