Sunday, January 31, 2010

Zach's 7th birthday





Not a creative title, but it's early and I've only just started on my first cup of coffee! This time of year, with 3 birthdays so close together, goes by quickly despite my attempts to savor the celebrations and give the kids each a special birthday. I remind myself that time feels differently to kids than it does to adults. Anyway, Mychael had a great 12th birthday, getting to celebrate in Florida and again in NC. Zach got to pick out his birthday presents from Grandma and B-Pa while in Florida (Bionicles, "guys," and an Avatar creature), and then we had a party for him with Jon's family when we got back. Thank you to everyone for his gifts, you are all so generous.

Zach.
I am an avid kid-watcher, I love to watch and study my children. Sometimes I just marvel at them, with complete adoration and enjoyment. They're all so much fun, and fill my life in so many ways, they are an extension of mine and Jon's love for each other. Here are some of my "observations" of my third born son:
  • he is a shameless momma's boy
  • he is very detail-oriented, and is particular about routine
  • he will play guys alone for hours, constructing elaborate forts and battle scenes out of books, lids, whatever is available-has a BIG imagination
  • he will eat just about anything, even if he doesn't like it
  • bedtime prayers are very important to him, especially since we always pray for his healing from diabetes
  • he can completely tune you out when he decides to
  • he loves younger children, and is extremely protective of his younger cousins
  • he farts at will
  • he has the body build of a wrestler, and the heart of lamb-this is one sensitive dude
  • his laugh is contagious, his cry is a weapon (used quite often, but we've all built up some immunity)
  • he is not driven-he tells me all the time that when he grows up he just wants to be a "plain man"...I think he'll be a doctor (but don't tell him I said so)
  • he has a great sense of self, he knows who he is and he doesn't care what anyone else says or thinks-i.e. his brothers can't shame him into anything!
  • he is very adaptable, and handles his diabetes better than most adults would
  • he is loyal, and will make a wonderful husband and father one day
I could go on and on, but this is just some of what I've learned about Zach the last 7 years. He was the most difficult delivery, but seemed to have the strongest bond with me from the moment he came into the world. I don't think I'll ever forget when I went to see him in the nursery under the warmer after he'd been born. They had to keep him there for 4 hours, I think, and I couldn't stand not holding him. The moment he heard my voice he started to cry, and the nurses were amazed at how he knew my voice and the way he responded. My boy.

No comments: