Thursday, January 21, 2010

my baby's 12!!!
































Yes, it's true! We celebrated Mychael's 12th birthday in Florida (part one of 2, we'll still celebrate with our NC family, too), going to the Japanese steakhouse and having cake at my parents' house afterward. All but one of my siblings attended, because Ryan lives in Vermont, and all of the Florida cousins were there, too. Isn't he just a handsome young man? I know I'm his mother, but I must say that his personality is just as good as his looks, he is absolutely the sweetest 12-year old boy you'll ever meet. It has been such a privelege to be able to homeschool him and have him around all the time. He enjoys being with his family, is incredibly level-headed and responsible, and just a fun kid to be with. For the past 6 or 8 months Jon and I have used him as a babysitter while we go grab a quick dinner together, or for me to run up the road to the grocery store. He knows all about doing Zach's blood sugars, using his insulin pump, and maintaining peace while I'm gone. Mychael and I have had a great time taking karate together, too, and our sensei is so impressed by Mychael. He's quickly becoming taller than me (I know that doesn't say much, but it's still amazing!), and yet he still wants to be a kid. He's definitely a 'tween, because he'll still play LEGOS with his siblings, but has become bored with going to parks (so sad! that's always been one of my most favorite things to do!). Starting in January, he has been participating in a young adult book club at the library, since his passion is reading. I don't think he minded too much that he was the only boy amongst the high school girls that attended! He's a real gentleman, though, so I'm not too worried about the whole dating thing when the time comes, WHEN the time comes. As far as planning for the future, we plan to homeschool Mychael through middle school, and then hopefully get him into the charter high school near us which has a focus on the arts and the environment. It sounds perfect for Mychael since he has natural musical ability (plays the flute), and the class sizes are all small (a nice transition for a homeschooler). For now, I'm loving being a part of his education, watching him mature and develop such a great sense of self. I try my best to not allow myself to become sad that he's growing up fast, which isn't hard to do because I'm enjoying each stage so much, making a conscious effort at times to be in the present, seeing each moment as the gift that it is. Children are such a blessing and a gift, but ultimately they are our gift back to God. What a privelege.




2 comments:

sharon said...

Wow, happy birthday Mychael! I can't believe it either, twelve! Shannon, what a wonderful, doting, loving, thoughtful and inspiring mother you are!

Shannon said...

Sharon, you are too sweet.