Well, seeing as how I haven't figured out how to make time stop or even slow down a little, my baby is now 14 years old!!! I couldn't ask for a more thoughtful, caring, funny, enjoyable teenage son, really. He had three friends from school come home with him yesterday to celebrate with him. They had pizza and other teenager-y junk food (Zach was staying at Kit's, so I broke a lot of my own rules food-wise for the sake of the party), I took them to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie, and they played video games until about 1:30 in the morning (long after Jon and I had turned in). It doesn't happen all that often that we go to bed before the kids, but I guess we're getting old! Mychael has THE nicest friends, seriously. I would claim any of them as my own, it was such a pleasure having them here. My house was the gathering place when I was in high school, and I would love that privilege again with my kids' friends. Observing how much they enjoy being together and how well they get along is yet another confirmation that Hawbridge was the right move for us. I continue to love the school, I love picking the kids up in the afternoon and watching them interacting with their peers. Don't get me wrong, it's work for them (and me, too), but it is work that is worthwhile.
Normally I gush about my kids when their birthdays roll around, but I think I've covered it in years past pretty sufficiently. I will add, as far as Mychael is concerned, that one of the things I love and appreciate most about him is that there is never any question as to whether or not Nathan is included when he is around. I have never seen him even attempt to leave Nathan out of anything, and at school it is the same. I think that says a lot about him, and it is probably what I could consider my single greatest accomplishment as a homeschool mom: that my children genuinely enjoy being together, and they look out for one another. I've always taught them that friends in life may come and go, but your siblings you will always have, so treat them well and you will always have a best friend. All of those years when it was pretty much just us, often wishing there was more in the way of friends for them, laid the foundation, and I couldn't be more pleased. Good gosh, I love my kids.
Here are the wild and crazy boys:

We are huge Parks and Recreation fans, with Ron Swanson being Mychael's favorite, so I got him this shirt for his birthday:
No comments:
Post a Comment