Yes, it's true, Jon and I are old enough to have a teenager...
We had a birthday party with Jon's family on Mychael's actual birthday, with a delicious dinner, ice cream pie, and lots of nice presents. I have to say, even though I am biased, that Mychael has to be one of the nicest teenage boys ever. I was a little worried that might change sending him to "public" school, but that hasn't been the case. Sure, at times he tries to assert his independence, but he wouldn't be normal if he didn't. He's a natural-born leader, has a great sense of self to begin with (I never worried about peer pressure with him for that reason), and seems to have a strong moral compass. I am so proud to claim him as my son, and I know he's going to do great things in this world...
Mychael has made some of the nicest friends at his school, Hawbridge. Eight of them came for a party we had for him Saturday night, and they had a blast. They played Apples to Apples, a dance game on the Wii we borrowed, a werewolf tag game outside (even though temps were in the 20's), a game called Would You Rather..., ate pizza and cupcakes, and generally just had fun hanging out. Since Hawbridge is a charter school it attracts kids from several counties, so they live all over the place. It's hard to get together when distance is a factor, so I think they were all thrilled for the opportunity...although, it turned out several of the kids lived within 15 minutes of us, which was great because I took everyone home (well, met one dad at a gas station, and Caitlin's mom at a different one)! I was like a crazy bus driver...
One of the neatest things I observed during the party was how Mychael included all of his younger siblings. I think most teenagers might not want their little brothers and sisters hanging around, and I even asked him a few times if I needed to whisk them off to a different room but he always said they were fine. I believe that Mychael pretty much considers himself a package deal when it comes to his siblings, which I consider to be one of my greatest accomplishments as a parent. Since Nathan will most likely attend Hawbridge next year, it was great to see how well he got along with everyone, and it will be so helpful that he will already know a bunch of the kids.
One of the neatest things I observed during the party was how Mychael included all of his younger siblings. I think most teenagers might not want their little brothers and sisters hanging around, and I even asked him a few times if I needed to whisk them off to a different room but he always said they were fine. I believe that Mychael pretty much considers himself a package deal when it comes to his siblings, which I consider to be one of my greatest accomplishments as a parent. Since Nathan will most likely attend Hawbridge next year, it was great to see how well he got along with everyone, and it will be so helpful that he will already know a bunch of the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment