Saturday, November 12, 2011

what I do

I had to share what one of the African children we sponsor said in a recent letter....

She was asking about the kids' schooling, and asked me if I was "helping them to know what they do not know." I thought that was a profound way to describe my vocation, my calling, "what I do." Yes, it is my goal to help my children to KNOW what it is that they do not KNOW. To me, that speaks of more than just intellectual learning, but of confidence, assuredness, and a knowledge of WHO they are as a person. It also speaks of knowing things like how to treat others, how to live...truths that you don't just learn in a book, but that become a part of who you are. If you KNOW something, then you have "gotten it," you didn't just learn some bit of information that you have to regurgitate on a test, and it's not bragging about what grade level you're at in any particular subject...it's what makes you who you are, and how you've come to see the world. I believe that if you boiled down everything about you, the thing that makes you who you are is what it is that you KNOW, and what greater calling could I have than to help my children discover this?

No comments: