Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Nathan, and the big 1-0





I can't believe I haven't posted yet about my second born son, but it actually takes a lot of mental (and emotional) energy when I reflect on and write about each of my kids, I'm so hopelessly in love with each of them. I probably bore people with their stories and cute sayings, but to me they're so interesting and unique and amazing in every way. And how do you put Nathan into words? Nathan can only be experienced, that's why. He's hilarious, original, off the cuff, generous and thoughtful, quick to forgive and to want to be forgiven, "the king of random," has a true zest for life, is my child of "extremes," he has helped me to become a better mother in so many ways (because he showed me that I am not in control of my universe). He will fight like crazy with his siblings, but would step in front of a bus if it meant saving one of their lives. He's comfortable in his own skin, but is also sensitive about his weaknesses. He recently discovered reading, but refuses to read the last Harry Potter book because all of his favorite people die (tenderhearted), even though it's the greatest. I catch him wiping tears sometimes when we watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition, just like me. He loves animals, and they love him. In fact, Jon and I joke around that he's like St. Francis...one day we were at this ranch that had 57 cats or something, and Nathan decided that instead of going on the trail ride on a horse, that he'd stay with the cats. Lord, he was sitting in the middle of all those cats, just loving on them, it was soooo cute. I'm still waiting for Nathan to find his "thing," but I'm enjoying just watching him be who he is. I don't want to project any expectations on him just because I think he's so awesome, I want him to realize the purpose for his creativity all on his own, I just want to be there when it happens! He recently took my camera, so I thought it was appropriate to use these for his birthday post, sometimes I'll be like, "Why is my memory full?" The reason is usually pretty hysterical, actually.

1 comment:

Kit said...

that was beautiful shannon! so true too. amazing kid!!!